Me and My hubby

My boy

My Princess

Followers

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Mothers of the Year or Insane?

We have been planning for a few weeks that we would go to Sea World today. The kids were so pumped(well, just Barrett and Tate, Brooklyn and Grant were oblivious to anything out of the ordinary). Julie and I loaded the kids in the car(while it is pouring rain) and headed down to San Antonio.
Yes, I know it has been raining here for several days, but it has been clearing up too. So, we figured it would rain some and then it would be a nice cool day. Well, it POURED on us the whole way. Julie was a great driver in the rain and with her noisy passengers. We weren't giving up until we saw for ourselves the condition at the park.
We get all the way to Sea World. Pull up to park(yes, it is still raining) and they say "It's free to park today". Well, sure because there are not many people going in today. We go to the parking lot and are debating what to do. That we are even contemplating going in means we are wonderful mothers, don't you think? We see lots of people coming out of the park, so we decide to go eat.
We talk with Derek on the phone and he informs us that most likely this rain is going to continue(90-100% chance the weather channel says). So, we decide to go eat and then head back to Austin.
We had seen a Chuck-E-Cheese on the way down, so we tell the boys that we are going there instead of Sea World. They were really great about a change in their plans. We told them we would go another day and they seemed ok with that. The kids had fun at Chuck-E-Cheese and we were there a while letting them play. Around 2:30 we headed back to Austin.
It was a slight change of plans, but it turned out to be a good day. And I enjoyed talking with Julie for such a long time. We NEVER get to do that. It was awesome. And I guess we'll be going back in a few weeks. This time hopefully there will be no rain!

On another note, thirteen years ago today my best friend,Allyson Beckering, died in a car accident. She was a wonderful friend to me. She was full of excitement and always so fun to be with.
I was at work when my mom called and sad that Ally had been in an accident and they were life flighting her to the hospital. I truly didn't believe it and I remember thinking, she is going to be okay. My mom picked me up and we went down to the hospital. All of our friends were there . We were all in shock and crying. Allyson died after her freshman year at Baylor. I remember gathering with our friends, the friends Ally made at Baylor and some of my friends from college and all being joined by this special person.
To me, she died too young. She never finished college. She never got to be a lawyer like she wanted. She never got married. She never had kids. She didn't get to grow up. But, in the short time she was on earth, she touched my life and many others.
My little girl, Brooklyn Allyson, is named after Ally. She was my best friend and a friend of Derek's too. We think of her often and miss her often. I am proud that my daughter is named after this wonderful friend of mine.

8 comments:

Amber Knauss said...

I didn't realize it was 13 yrs since Ally died. I only went to school with her for a year, but she did make such an impact at Northland. I remember you, her, and Heather and it seemed yall were inseperable! I didn't know her well, but I remember her as a fun person who was very sweet and cheerful. ~ Amber

Unknown said...

I think your kids attitudes of the change of plans is proof that you and Julie are great moms (as if you needed it):).

And I think its an amazing tribute to name your child after someone. It says so much about what that person means to you. It's also so comforting to have great memories of someone in such a tragic situation.

TriSara said...

I am sorry that your plans got rained out. Those chatty times in the car are nice, though. Sounds like the kids were great, if you got to visit like that.

Kellee said...

I think you are such fun moms! Sorry about all the rain in TX lately...so rare for this time of year. I'm glad the boys didn't care about the change of plans...Chuck E Cheese is a fun place too. Do they still have the big animal characters that sing and dance on stage? I was scared of those when I was little.

I teared up reading the last part of your post. I think its so neat that Derek was friends with her too. I love you, sister!

Dallas said...

First of all, definitely "Mothers of the Year!". Way to go! I know, all this rain is crazy!

Second of all, that was a very sweet tribute to your friend. Obviously, she was a special friend for you to have named Brooklyn after her.

Anita said...

Yes you definitely win some awards for that whole trip. I think I would have been like. Well, its looks like rain we'll go another day! But what a fun memory.

I remember the last time you, Ally, and I were together. It was so much fun! What great memories we have of all the fun times in high school. It still seems like it was just yesterday in some ways. I remember those few days so vividly, too. I love you!

Unknown said...

Your words about Ally made me cry. Sometimes I'm surprised how often I think about her, even after so long. I always remember her being around during our Northland years, and it's sad that she's not here today. It's so special that Brooklyn is named after her. What a tribute. I hope there are windows in heaven that allow her to look down at us today.

Anonymous said...

wow, here it is 2013 and in looking through a box of old stuff I find the service brochure for Allyson's funeral. We were barely friends, mainly a friend of my girlfriend at the time, but she was awesome, I still remember her enthusiasm, honest, and sweetness. God watch over her.